The Abbey of Saint Joseph de Clairval, located in the diocese of Dijon, France, is a community of monks living according to the Rule of Saint Benedict in obedience to the Catholic hierarchy. “By their consecrated life, the monks affirm the primacy of God and the goods of the world to come in imitation of Christ chaste, poor and obedient” (John Paul II, March 25 1996).
“Saint Benedict wanted to open his monastery mainly for the eternal salvation of a great number.” (John Paul II, May 22 1980)
- According to the Benedictine spirit, the liturgical life constitutes the center of the monk’s day.
- Faithful to its own charism, the Saint Joseph Abbey organizes five-day spiritual retreats.
- Moreover, the Abbey regularly publishes a spiritual letter which is sent free to those who requests it.
- For their subsistence, the monks set up various workshops:
- Desktop publishing (DTP).
- The Manufacturing of icons and diptychs/triptychs.
- Editions ‘ Traditions Monastiques ‘
- The mail order and internet shop
- Stone sculpture workshop